Lake View Hill Park
This heavily wooded 27-acre conservancy park offers a stark contrast to urban settings. It is the highest point on the north side of the City of Madison with a magnificent view of Lake Mendota. Facilities are limited to picnic tables and trails throughout the woods. The park is located on the north side of Northport Drive behind the Dane County Human Services Building.
Restoration in Progress:
Final grading and native seeding for the stormwater basins at Lake View Hill Park is currently underway. Some re-grading and repairs for the stormwater basins was necessary for them to properly function as designed. Parks staff completed this work in August. Disturbed areas have been seeded down with temporary grass cover in preparation for native seeding. Dane County has hired Eco-Resource Consulting to plant the basins and surrounding areas to native prairie. They will also be doing some brush work and installing a new wood fence along the top of the stone wall. See the project map for location details.
The anticipated project schedule is as follows:
- Week of 8/26/19 – Vegetation mowed down
- Week of 9/1/19 – Vegetation sprayed (weather pending) to kill weeds and prepare site for native seeding
- Sept 2019 – Brush work and fence installation
- Oct 2019 – Native prairie seeding
- Spring 2020 – Native plugs planted in stormwater basins