Activities Requiring Permits
The activities below require a permit.
These permits may be purchased online or by contacting the Dane County Parks Office at 608-224-3730.
- Aeromodeling Field Use
- Disc Golf Course Use
- Having a Dog in the County Park System (note that camper reservations in a campground include a complimentary daily dog permit good for the duration of the stay)
- Lake Access Parking Lots (parking or loading/unloading a boat)
- Tenney Lock Passage
- Trail Use for Horse, Mt. Bike, Ski Trails
- Biking or Inline Skating on the Capital City Trail
- Limited Access Archery Hunting (available only through seasonal lottery system)
These permits may be purchased and/or obtained by contacting the Dane County Parks Office at 608-224-3730.
- Metal Detecting (.pdf)
- Star Gazing
- Public meetings, assemblies, tournaments, entertainment.
- Exclusive use of facilities (shelters and Lussier Family Heritage Center).
- Selling or offering for sale anything in the park.
- Landing aircraft or dropping any objects from the air.
- Mooring a boat for more than two days.
- Possessing or drinking alcoholic beverages.
- After hours use of the parks (10 pm - 5 am, unless otherwise posted, for non-camping visitors)
- Special Event
The activities below do not require a permit.
Geocaching no longer requires a Dane County Parks permit. For specific rules concerning requirements for use in Dane County Parks, please visit the Dane County Parks Geocache Information at the Wisconsin Geocaching Association website.
Snowshoeing does not require a permit and is allowed throughout Dane County Parks except on designated cross-county ski trails. On-leash dogs with permits are welcome to accompany snowshoers.