Donald County Park -- Tree and Brush Removal Volunteer Workday
- Tuesday, 01/04/2022 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Tuesday, 02/15/2022 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Friday, 01/13/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 01/17/2023 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Sign-Up is Required: https://signup.com/go/GahZBrQ
Please arrive by 8:50 am as we would like to be ready to start 9:00 am sharp. In case of cancellation due to weather, a notification will be made via email and phone to participants who have signed up.
During these winter workdays staff and volunteers work to restore land by removing invasive brush (e.g. honeysuckle, buckthorn, autumn olive, etc.), non-native trees (e.g. black locust) and sometimes native trees that are common in WI but are not desirable in the habitat we are working in. Two roles are needed to be filled by volunteers - a Hauler and Sawyer role. We will give an introduction and training to those unfamiliar to this workday. Participants should be ready to work in winter conditions and should dress for the weather (thick socks, layers, etc.) and wear non-synthetic materials that won’t be melted by falling embers, as we will likely be burning brush piles if conditions permit. Bring drinking water and a snack if desired.
- Haulers assist sawyers by moving cut items such as branches and stumps away from the sawyer's work location. We will have a skid steer and grapple to do the heavy-lifting but haulers will need to help drag and pile these items in areas where the machine can access them. Haulers will also be responsible for treating cut stumps with herbicides to prevent re-growth of what was cut. If you'd rather not work with herbicides please let us know.
- Sawyers will be operating chainsaws to cut brush and various sizes of trees. We will work with you to understand and accommodate your comfort level with using a chainsaw. Sawyers should be Dane County Parks registered volunteers with a signed chainsaw waiver and copy of their chainsaw safety certification on file with DCP.
Do not attend if experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms.
For further questions, please contact:
Lars Higdon (608) 286-9497 email@example.com
Shane Otto (608) 575-0396 firstname.lastname@example.org
Claire Lamberg (608) 516-3703 email@example.com
Donald County Park, 1870 Sutter Dr, Mt Horeb, WI 53572
Parking available in the small parking lot on the left when coming down Sutter Lane. We are NOT meeting at Pop's Knoll.
ContactLars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Health & Fitness, Parks, Volunteer