Park Rules & Regulations

Thank you for your interest in Dane County Parks.  We take pride in the services we deliver and appreciate your feedback on how we can better serve you.  All regulations listed in Chapter 53, Dane County Ordinances, apply.  For more information call (608) 224-3730 or email

Dane County Parks are open from 5:00 am to 10:00 pm each day, unless otherwise posted, for non-camping visitors.

Parks are open 5:00 am–10:00 pm daily, unless otherwise posted, for non-camping visitors. The following rules apply to all Dane County Parks, Natural Resource Areas, and Wildlife Areas.


Firewood that originates outside of Dane County is NOT allowed in the parks, please visit our Firewood Regulations webpage for more information.

Noise and Personal Conduct

The use of any sound amplification device, loudspeaker, generator, or other device that produces excessively loud or unusual noise is strictly prohibited, unless a permit has been obtained and it is allowed on a particular property.

  1. No noisy, drunken, or disorderly person shall be permitted to remain on Dane County property.
  2. It is illegal to deface, destroy or vandalize any county property or natural growth.
  3. All controlled substances and paraphernalia, identified in Chapter 161, WI State Statutes, shall be prohibited from use or possession.


  1. Visit our Dogs in Parks webpage to view requirements for dogs.
  2. No pets are allowed in designated beach areas at Goodland, Mendota and Stewart Lake County Parks.
  3. Horses are allowed on designated horse trails only and must be kept under control.


  1. A permit is required for vehicles parked outside of the campsite area.
  2. Vehicles are restricted to designated roadways, parking areas, and authorized campsites.
  3. Vehicles must abide by state laws and operate at the posted speed limit within the park.


  1. No commercial or household waste is allowed.
  2. All litter, debris, and trailer refuse must be removed or placed in areas or containers provided.

Tents/Special Equipment - chairs, tables, play equipment

Installing tents or other structures that are larger than 12' x 12' and require stakes or pins to be driven into the ground more than six inches will be charged an additional fee to cover the marking of underground utilities. A certificate of insurance may be required when bringing additional equipment into a park.
Please call 608-224-3730 for more information.

All annual permits are valid from January 1st through December 31st with the exception of Lake Access, which is valid from January 1st through March 31st of the following year.  Replacement permits are available at a lower fee than for lost annual permits.  Lost State Trails permits must be replaced at full value.

Written permits from the Dane County Parks office are required for:

  1. Public meetings, assemblies, tournaments, entertainment.
  2. Exclusive use of facilities (shelters).
  3. Selling or offering for sale anything in the park.
  4. Landing aircraft or dropping any objects from the air.
  5. Mooring a boat for more than two days.
  6. Possessing or drinking alcoholic beverages (see Reminder #4 above).
  7. Camping.
  8. Use of designated year round Lake Access sites at selected parks.
  9. Passage through Tenney Lock.
  10. After-hours use of the parks.
  11. Use of the Disc Golf courses.
  12. The use of amplification devices.
  13. Having a dog in any park.
  14. Use of bike, horse, and ski trails in County parks.
  15. Any special event.

Visit these websites for more information:

Camping and Shelter Reservations

Camping and Shelter fees must be paid prior to use of a Park facility. Please visit our fees webpage for more information.


All campsite reservations must be made at least 5 days in advance. Campsite reservations require a minimum two-night stay and sites may be occupied up to 14 days. Most campsites at Babcock, Brigham, Mendota, and Token Creek County Parks are reservable. A few campsites are for walk-in registrations. William G. Lunney Lake Farm County Park has the only campground where all sites are reservable.


Shelter reservations must be made at least 2 days in advanceDue to limited parking availability, groups exceeding 100 people at Brigham, Goodland, or Mendota County Parks must reserve both shelters.

Please Note: To reserve shelters for groups over 150 people, you must contact the Parks office at 608-224-3730.

A staff cell phone number will be included with the reservation card posted at the shelter. Please feel free to contact staff with questions or problems.
Cancellation Policy

Camping Rules and Regulations

View our campground rules.

Shelter Rules and Regulations

  1. When making a shelter reservation, please have the following information:
  • Arrival date, park and shelter number
  • Number of people who will attend
  • If there will be special needs and accommodations such as a tent or catering, porta-potties, extra trash containers, etc. (some events require a Certificate of Insurance to cover certain activities)
  • If alcohol will be consumed by and your group contains 25 or more people.
  • If amplified music will be played
  • Type of event (family reunion, work picnic, wedding reception etc)
  1. A shelter reservation entitles your group to exclusive use of the designated shelter building and immediate area. The general public may use the restrooms. Other facilities such as ball diamonds, play areas, horseshoe pits, and tennis courts are for use on a first-come first-served basis with a one hour time limit if another group or individual is waiting. Shelters must be vacated by 9 :30 pm.
  2. An Alcohol Beverage Permit is required for all gatherings of 25 or more people where alcohol is being consumed and may be obtained from the Parks Office, Park Manager, or Ranger on duty. Permits may only be obtained by persons age 21 or over.
  3. Shelter hours are from 10 am until 9:30 pm. The park closes at 10 pm. Trash containers will be provided and additional garbage bags or containers are available by contacting the Park Manager. Please put all trash in appropriate containers.
  4. Law enforcement problems should be reported to the park staff or to the Dane County Sheriff Dept. Call (608) 255-2345 for non-emergencies and 911 for emergencies.
  5. Amplified music such as DJs or a live bands are allowed with permission at Dane County Parks EXCEPT at Mendota and Goodland
    parks. Please contact the Parks office with questions.
  6. No commercial or household waste is allowed; all trash must be removed from the park or deposited in appropriate containers.