The Halfway Prairie School is located in the Town of Mazomanie at the junction of County Highway F and SH 19, two and one-half miles north of the Village of Black Earth. Halfway Prairie School is the oldest rural elementary school in Dane County. This one-room school was operated from 1844 until it closed as a result of consolidation in 1961. It was given the name of Halfway Prairie because it was halfway between Mineral Point and Portage, a popular transportation route for early miners. Visitors may view the inside of the school in its authentically restored condition on holidays and Sunday afternoons 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Memorial Day through Labor Day - compliments of Friends of Old Halfway Prairie.